Friday, August 21, 2009

diet

We are blessed with two healthy children. I walked in the camp the other day and there were two moms discussing the constipation problem of their children. The different medications used daily (!) and what works and what doesn't. I wanted to remind those moms that their children eat pita bread and pasta all day long and drink nothing but flavored water. That they hadn't had even one fruit the whole time they were in camp and that they probably eat pizza and ice cream before they go to bed and that continues day after day. I kept my mouth shut. I would like them to know that medications are addictive in that the body gets used to them and that's why they stop working and you need to think of even more powerful stuff to solve the problem. It's a vicious cycle. Unfortunately, they didn't ask for my advice and so it should not be given. (I keep reminding myself not to say anything unless people ask, sometimes it's hard because it seems that a lot of people just miss the point, but then I ask myself to define "the point" and it's easier to keep my mouth shut).
I believe that diet plays a major role and the problem could be solved just by changing it. It would require a little more time dedication but I think the effort is worth it - healthier and happier children.
You can read a good article about diet here. (the best part about the article is that the guidelines are very simple - eat food, not too much, mostly plants. Then the author goes on to describe what exactly he means by the word "food".)

No comments:

Post a Comment