Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The paradox of natural mothering

I started reading The Paradox of Natural Mothering by Christina Bobel and it is a great book to be read by all "natural" mothers (and others as well). I feel that this book helps me to reflect on my identity and helps me understand a little more why I make the choices that I do - a great study (when I read books like these I always feel a little sad that I am not in academia and can't have my own research - on the other hand why not? Do I really need to be somewhere to do research?) and a great read.

"Natural" mothers, as defined by the author, are mothers who birthed at home, practice co-sleeping, nurse for long periods of time (years), usually homeschooled ... they are concerned about food choices and environmental impact of the family. As a young mother Christina Bobel decided to homebirth and through that  she met the "natural" mothers. In the book Bobel describes the lives of these mothers, how they are different from the "mainstream" and what unites them despite their differences. One of the main arguments of the book is that women who choose "natural" parenting enjoy circumstances that allow them to make those choices. It is not only the choices that these women are making (even though the choices are very "strange" considering the women's background, education, life philosophies) but also life circumstances play a big role (usually "natural mothers" are middle class, Caucasian women). The socio-economic status is very important because then, mothering "naturally" becomes a choice and not a necessity and from the first glance it seems that it's a choice that takes these women backwards (in time, education, status), but, the author argues, it's the future motherhood - the motherhood that changes the world toward more good, and that is the goal for all of the women in this study.

No comments:

Post a Comment